Getting rid of bed bugs is one problem for homes that are infested by these nasty tiny creatures. Bed bugs are a real pain especially if they have already multiplied and are fast spreading in different areas in your home. Fortunately, there are various methods by which you may be able to get rid of bed bugs effectively.
First, you have to find where they are hiding. Bed bugs are good at this and you have to pour extra effort in order to find them. Look for signs of bed bugs such as fecal matter, blood spots, skin casings, and even areas where there is a sweet almond smell – a sign of a large bed bug infestation. Try to search areas such as mattress crevices, head of bed, and those areas between the mattress and the box spring. Remember that bed bugs feed primarily on human blood and they have to be close to their food source.
Once you have found where they are, you can now resort to the following to get rid of bed bugs:
- Wash garments and beddings in water with a temperature of 120 degrees Fahrenheit at the least. Bed bugs won’t be able to survive this temperature. A higher temperature will be good as well. Once you have finished washing them, put them in sealed bags so as to prevent bed bugs from infesting them again.
- Steaming. This will help in getting rid of bed bugs in areas where you cannot just wash or launder. Some examples are the crevices and cracks of the bed. Steam your carpet, mattresses and any other areas where bed bugs are most likely to hide.
- Bed bug powder. This is very easy to use and will require the least effort. Just obtain a good bed bug powder and sprinkle them in areas where the bed bugs are very likely to pass through. Once the bug has coated itself with the powder, it will be dehydrated and eventually die.There are more bed bug products available at this page.
- Bed bug spray. Aside from the powder, there are also bed bug sprays available that can kill the bugs and their eggs. You can use both powder and spray to increase the rate of eliminating the bugs. Remember to choose the spray wisely. There are natural sprays available as well. For bed bug sprays you can visit – bed bug supplies.
- Encase your mattress. This is an effective way to prevent bed bugs from making your mattress their lair. You can price out mattress enasements here.
These are some simple tips of getting rid of bed bugs. You can always call up the exterminator in case you have doubts or are afraid to confront these tiny insects on your own. Once you feel your home is bed bug free you might want to read these steps here on keeping bed bugs out of your home.